Making Your Own After-Dinner Mints? A Recipe from Delicious Magazine
If you’re planning to invite guests home for a meal and can’t think of a good dessert, why not try making your own after-dinner mints? If you love dark chocolate than this would be great recipe to try since mint pairs well with about a 70 – 75% chocolate.
This recipe is courtesy of UK-owned Delicious Magazine – a pretty awesome food and dessert recipe site!
200g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa solids)
1 large free-range egg white
220g icing sugar
1 tsp peppermint essence
A few drops of green food colouring
1. Grease and line a 18cm x 28cm shallow tray with baking paper.
2. Melt half the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gentle simmering water (don’t allow the water to touch the bowl). Pour into the tray, shake until evenly spread, then put in the fridge to harden.
3. Meanwhile, make the fondant. Put the egg white in a clean bowl and gently stir with a fork to break up. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, then add half to the egg white. Stir with a wooden spoon until mixed.
4. Add the peppermint essence, stir well, then beat in the rest of the icing sugar to make a smooth, thick, spreadable paste. Add a few drops of green food colouring until it becomes the palest green colour.
5. Once the chocolate has hardened, spread a thin (about 2mm) layer of the peppermint cream fondant over it using a palette knife, then put back in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour until set.
6. Once the peppermint cream has set, melt the rest of the dark chocolate over simmering water. Let it cool slightly, then spread another layer of dark chocolate over the set peppermint cream, tipping the tray in all directions so the chocolate evens out over the surface. Leave in the fridge to set.
7. Once set, remove from the tray and transfer to a plate or board. Serve at the table so your guests can break it apart and eat with a postprandial coffee.
PER SERVING (BASED ON 10) 190kcals, 5.6g fat (3.4g saturated), 1.3g protein, 35.8g carbs, 33.7g sugar, trace salt
PLEASE NOTE Contains raw egg